General School Procedures
1) When does the school day begin/end?
Daily Schedule 7:47 a.m. – 2:35 p.m.
Late Start Schedule 9:47 a.m. – 2:35 p.m.
Extended C2 Schedule 7:47 a.m. – 2:35 p.m.
Main Office hours 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
2) How do I report an absence?
Call the Attendance line: 952-988-4810 and record the absence. Or email attendance to NJHAttendance@hopkinsschools.org.
3) What do I need to do if my child is sick for the day or needs to leave for a doctor appointment?
If a student will be absent for any reason, a parent or guardian should call the school at 952.988.4810 preferably before 10:00 a.m. on the day of the absence. If you need to pick up your student early for an appointment, please write a note to be given to the Student Service Center. The student will be given an early dismissal pass. Parents must come in to the Student Service Center to pick up their student. Please have your ID ready.
4) Where can I pick up my child from school?
You can pick up or drop off your child on the south side of the building. The entrance is directly off Cedar Lake Road and is clearly designated "Parent Drop-Off."
5) What can I do if I need to drop something off for my student? (planner, binder, etc.)
Drop the item(s) off at the Welcome Center. Our staff will take the name of the student and have the item delivered to his/her class.
6) What is the Hopkins North Welcome Center?
Our Welcome Center is designed to provide a safe and welcoming environment for everyone entering our building while school is in session. It is also a place where forgotten items can be dropped off for students.
7) What is Infinite Campus?
You are able to see your student’s grades by subject. If there is school work missing and you are concerned, you can:
- Talk to your child
- Check Moodle Classroom to view more detailed information by classroom
8) How do I find out assignments that my child has to complete?
Moodle is where teachers post the daily schedule (past and current), the class syllabus and assignments. Graded assignments and test scores will go into Infinite Campus.
9) Where is the lost and found?
Lost and found is located in the Cafeteria. Valuable items that are found are kept in the office.
10) Is there a dress code?
Yes. NJH students are expected to wear clothes that are appropriate and safe for school activities. Some articles of clothing/items deemed inappropriate (and we strongly discourage) are as follows:
- Bandanas (with paisley print), hoods, or hats worn during school hours;
- Clothing/sheer clothing that shows undergarments (straps, underwear, etc.) or do not fully cover a student's stomach and back all the way to the waistband;
- Clothing with reference to sexual activity, alcohol, marijuana, or other controlled substances or paraphernalia associated with illegal substances;
- Clothing and other items, or grooming, in a manner that represents and/or promotes threat/hate groups including gangs or supremacist groups;
- Outerwear (including sunglasses and jackets);
- Chains, spikes, or dangerous items attached to clothing or person.
11) Can my student carry a backpack throughout the school day?
Due to safety concerns, students will not be allowed to use regular backpacks during the school day. Students may use backpacks to transport books and belongings to and from school. Backpacks must remain in lockers between 7:40 a.m. and 2:35 p.m. Students are allowed to carry string backpacks during the day.
12) Can my child carry a cell phone or pager?
Students are NOT allowed to use or display cell phones during the school day. All cell phones not in lockers from the beginning to the end of the school day will be confiscated. First offense: the phone is taken, and it will be returned at the end of the day. The second offense: The phone will be taken and a parent must pick it up in the main office unless parent gives permission to send phone home with student.
Students may use a classroom phone in an emergency situation. If you need to contact your student during the school day, please call 952.988.4805 and a message will be sent to your child.
As part of our school policy, NJH is not responsible for lost or stolen electronic equipment. This includes cell phones, iPods, MP3 players, headphones, etc., are not allowed in school. Please make sure these valuables remain at home. Thank you for your support.
13) How do I find out if school is cancelled due to inclement weather?
If winter storms or other emergencies cause us to close school for the day, delay the beginning of the school day, or close school early we will notify our community on our website and by phone and email using BlackBoardConnect.
14) Who do I contact regarding information/problems with the Parent Portal?
Contact Jessica Castrello at 952-988-4813.
Or Contact District Help Desk at 952-988-4111.
15) Where do I find bus information?
All information regarding bussing can be found here: Bus Information
16) Is there a Bus App and how do I sign in?
You can track your child's bus on your mobile device with the My Stop App.
17) How do I contact a teacher?
18) Who is my child’s counselor? How do I contact her?
Counselors are assigned by grade level.
- Andrea Yesnes - Grade 7: 952-988-4852
- Laura Keogh - Grade 8: 952-988-4325
- Amanda Clark - Grade 9: 952-988-4826
Athletics & Extra Curricular
19) How do I get info about athletic events/cancellations?
20) How do I register my student for an activity/athletics?
21) How does my child sign up for an extracurricular activity?
Throughout our school year, a wide variety of extra-curricular activities are offered. For Information please contact Debbie Herman at Debra.Herman@hopkinsschools.org in the SSC.
22) My student has a fine on Campus that I think is incorrect. What should I do?
- Call the Main Line 952-988-4800
- Ask for either Jessica Castrello or Mary Townsend
- They can access your student’s account and discuss any fee discrepancy.
23) How do I put money on my child's lunch account?
- By using your Infinite Campus/Parent Portal
- Login and on the left hand side
- Click Fees - Payments
- Add the amount you’d like to add to the account.