Over 50 Years of Excellence
We celebrated our Silver Anniversary at North in 2009: 50 Years of Excellence in our innovative and powerful classrooms. This excellence extends beyond our classroom to our athletic fields and performing stages; in fact, in every facet of our school life.
Throughout its history, North has been recognized-both regionally and nationally-for its success:
- North was one of the first middle schools in Minnesota to be named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education.
- More recently, our junior high was identified as one of our nation's 100 Highly Effective Middle Schools.
Located in Minnetonka, North shares its campus with L. H. Tanglen Elementary and Hopkins High School, making our sites the K-12 focal point of the Hopkins School District.
A Highly Personalized Program
With a student population of almost 900 students, we deliver a highly personalized program by placing students on one of two grade-level teams, which results in every student having both a Homebase Advisor and a shared team of teachers.
True to the "middle-level" philosophy, North's students thrive in a rich learning environment. Unique among middle schools are the following North courses:
- World Language throughout grades 7-9, including our unique Juntos program (with AP Spanish Language in 9th grade) and beginning in 2013-2014, Spanish Immersion.
- Visual and Performing Arts: Orchestra, Band, Choir and a number of Art electives.
- Exploratory courses (in areas such as, Technology Education, Family and Consumer Science, Physical Education, Science, Language Arts and Social Studies) which allow students to take additional elective classes in these areas, 7-9
- Gifted Education (Challenge), which focuses on Science-Math, and Language Arts-Social Studies, both within the school day and beyond.
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) focus in all three grades with highly challenging electives targeting STEM skills.
- Programming to support students choosing rigor and challenge in preparing for post-secondary learning through the AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) Program.
Our Alternating Day Block Schedule affords students and staff the time to delve deeply into their studies within the 84-minute class session; thus, in each class our students are able to take the time to complete inquiry based labs and classroom learning.
Technology integration enhances learning. We have multiple computer labs, mobile laptop carts and iPads in the classroom - delivering digital content to our digitally native students.
A Community Committed to Equity and Excellence
- taking risks
- accepting challenges
- learning across boundaries
- caring about each other and the world
With enormous pride, we live the Hopkins ideal of Excellence: Our School, Our Students, Every Day.
Welcome to Hopkins North Junior High, "Home of the Royals"!